Sync any folder with Dropbox in a snap!
Note: See our clarification on some of the concerns raised by our users below.
Dropbox Folder Sync is a simple app for Dropbox that allows you to seamlessly sync folders outside the Dropbox folder. Pretty handy for syncing Firefox profiles, saved games, music library, Outlook data files etc., to Dropbox directly from their locations. Sync and Unsync to Dropbox just by using the right click menu on the folder. It actually works by moving the folder into Dropbox and then putting a symlink in its place.
If you are new to Dropbox, it is a popular file synchronization and backup tool which automatically syncs all your devices to the cloud. You can also share and collaborate on your stuff with others. It also offers you 2 GB of free online storage. (Get Dropbox or Know more).
But one limitation of Dropbox is that, it will only sync the files in your Dropbox folder. Our app helps to overcome this limitation by allowing any folder to sync with Dropbox right from its location.
Minimum System Requirments
- Works with Windows XP (SP 3), Vista, Windows 7 and 8.
- Requires Microsoft .NET framework 4.0
- Dropbox Folder Sync addon requires an NTFS partition with Dropbox installed in that partition.
- Note: Dropbox Folder Sync does NOT work with network drives.
- Run the Installer
- To sync‘ a folder with Dropbox, right click it and click “Dropbox Folder Sync –> Sync with Dropbox“.
- The first time you run the application it automatically sets the Dropbox Folder (Or whenever the current Dropbox folder setting is corrupt)
If this detection fails, it prompts you to enter the Dropbox path through interface.
- For changing the Dropbox folder setting, go to Start Menu -> Programs -> Dropbox Folder Sync.
- Unsync it, if you don’t need it anymore in Dropbox, by again right-clicking (at original path) and selecting “Dropbox Folder Sync –> Unsync with Dropbox”.
Features in detail
- Moves the source folder (the folder on which you right-click) to the Dropbox. Creates a symbolic link at that location pointing to the corresponding folder inside Dropbox.
- Thus you can access the same folder from two locations.
- Symbolic links are created using the junction utility (installs automatically with the setup) from Sysinternals.
- If a folder with the same name already exists in your Dropbox, then it asks if it should merge & overwrite. If you wish not to merge, it moves the folder to Dropbox with a modified name.
- While syncin’, please ensure that no file in the folder is locked by any process.
- Deletes the symbolic link, and moves the corresponding folder in Dropbox back to its original location.
Change Dropbox Path
- DFS automatically detects the Dropbox path at the first usage and whenever the Dropbox path setting is corrupt (for eg. Some path which is not a folder).
- If you feel the folder is not the Dropbox folder or if you wish to sync the folder with some other folder which is inside Dropbox, Use the “Change” button on the GUI to change this setting.
In the Press
Dropbox Folder Sync is featured in major technology blogs and newspapers around the world! Here are some,
- Lifehacker – “Dropbox Folder Sync adds any folder to Dropbox with a Right click“
- MakeUseOf- “The easiest way to create a symlink under Windows is to use Dropbox Folder Sync“
- The Hindu – “If you are looking for a better solution, the Dropbox add-on ‘Folder Sync offers an answer.”
- PC World
- DownloadSquad - “It’s a great little app”
- Ghacks - “Dropbox Folder Sync basically automates the process as much as possible.”
- Software Informer
- Softmazing - “Intuitive and straightforward application and a valuable time-saver.“
Donate to us to keep the development effort going! If you find our project helpful and you wish to contribute, this is the best place to do so. We are committed to help our users with a seamless experience.
Click here to donate securely to Dropbox Folder Sync.
2.7 (Stable) – Critical bug fixes, reduced clutter in Right-click menu, Automatic update notification.
2.5 – Lots of improvements and fixes – See Documentation
2.0 – New Feature: Unsync – for unsyncing symlinks pointing into Dropbox.
- Enhancement: The “copy and remove directory” procedure used previously is replaced with windows api call. – New Feature: Log file of all the actions performed(Syncing, changing settings etc.)
1.2.1 – The interface got better with added icons.
1.2 – New Feature: Right click any folder on the computer and click “Sync with Dropbox.
1.1 – New Feature: “Overwrite folder” added if the folder already exists in Dropbox.
Dropbox Folder sync provides no warranty, expressed or implied. It is provided as is and is not associated with Dropbox in anyway. There is no guarantee that we would continue to support the application forever. We do not take responsibility to any data that you lose through direct or indirect use of this application.
That being said, we have thoroughly tested the application and it is working fine for many people including us.
For any queries or feedback, you can post a comment below or drop us an email.
We are deeply sorry for the confusion caused to some of the users below.
This is to clarify that using this program is perfectly SAFE :
My wordpress server (satyadeepk.in) was hosted behind the Cloudflare CDN for enhanced speed. Unfortunately, some of the Cloudflare IP addresses seems to be flagged wrongly as spam. This was the cause of the false positives some users reported.
To prevent such confusion in the future, I disabled Cloudflare for my website.
We can fully assure that there is nothing malicious with the program and it is FULLY SAFE.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your trust in us,
Satyadeep & Sowrabh,
Dropbox Folder Sync.